GST refers to the Goods and Services Tax, a value-added tax levied by the Canadian federal government. In some provinces, it has been combined with the Provincial Sales Tax into one Harmonized Sales Tax (HST).
Any person making a taxable supply of services and/or property in Canada (but not employment income) over $30,000 in worldwide sales in four consecutive quarters generally is obligated to become registered for GST/HST and to charge, collect, and remit GST/HST, subject to certain exemptions.
Please Note: Taxes are applied from the point where the GST / HST number is validated.
Sharing your GST or HST number with Instacart:
- In the Instacart Shopper app, tap the Account icon in the bottom right corner.
- In the menu, select Tax identification.
- Review the information. When you’re ready, tap Next: Enter your info.
- Tap Next: Confirm once you confirm you’re registered for GST/HST.
- Enter your GST/HST Registration number.
- Enter the registered Business Name (often this is the business proprietor’s full name).
- Tap Submit, and you’re done!
Also, please be aware that Instacart is not responsible for your tax obligations. If you are not sure if this tax applies to you, please consult your tax professional. A tax professional can help answer any questions you may have; Instacart cannot provide tax advice. You can visit www.cra.gc.ca/bro for more information.
Article is closed for comments.